Head of People (HR Operations)
The above salary is based on a full time (37 hour) salary. If you are successful in a part time role this will be pro-rata'd to reflect your working hours.
Please note: Exceptions to starting salary may apply if you are an existing Police Staff employee substantively posted to a role at the same grade.
For additional information on allowances please see our "allowances" page
Additional information on this role can be found within this booklet: https://www.dorset.police.uk/media/69322/head-of-people_hr-operations_dorset-2022__booklet.pdf
Devon & Cornwall Police and Dorset Police have been in a strategic alliance since 2015, with several shared functions and services working across all three counties. Shared services include the People Function, Finance, Information & Communications, Technology, Fleet Services, Legal Services, Business Change as well as several other enabling functions. By working together, we provide efficiencies, financial savings, increased resilience, improve information sharing and deliver improvements for the public.
We continue to have our own distinct identities and pursue Police and Crime plans agreed locally with our elected Police and Crime Commissioners. Each Force has their own Chief Constable, Deputy Chief Constable, and broader Executive Team.
About the role
Reporting into the Assistant Chief Officer, you will take strategic leadership, direction, and development of the HR Operations department. You will ensure effective delivery of varied aspects of HR strategy and delivery - HR Operations, Employee Relations, Business Partnering, Well-Being, Occupational Health, Welfare and Health and Safety for both forces.
This exciting opportunity will allow you to shape and develop the function to ensure that it will continue to meet the needs of both forces into the future. A critical part of the role will also be to work in partnership with the Head of People (Resourcing and Development) in the overall development of delivery of the broader People Strategy. This strategy is critical in ensuring the Forces have a mentally and physically well, highly skilled, and equipped workforce, which represents the community it serves and are able to operate in an inclusive culture and environment.
Your role will enthusiastically drive progress towards high performance results, and partnership working which delivers strategic and professional advice and case/change management to the business, that supports the delivery of both forces Force Visions and Priorities, whilst ensuring that HR policies and procedures are legally compliant.
The role has 5 direct reports and 120 staff working within the department across the three counties, Dorset, Devon, and Cornwall. The role will need to be accessible and visible but also work at a senior level on a collective basis with other senior leaders to lead the Forces business delivery.
What you'll need to succeed
This role is a perfect for a CIPD qualified professional that has substantial experience of working at a senior level and is seeking a new challenge.
Your experience will enable you to drive forward the People function to support the delivery of the Forces’ Visions and strategic priorities, ultimately making a real difference to the communities and public that the Forces serve.
This role is excellent for someone who thrives in fast paced and demanding environment. Your highly developed interpersonal skills and relationship management will be critical in building trust across the Forces at a senior level.
For this role you will: -
• Be educated to Post Graduate Level in a Human Resource Management / Personnel Management qualification together with Chartered or Fellow Membership of the CIPD or equivalent.
• Have substantial strategic leadership experience at a senior level within a HR / Personnel function in a large multi-functional organisation.
• Have in-depth knowledge of relevant employment legislation and HR best practice.
• As an individual you will be collaborative, positive, and enthusiastic with strong leadership skills.
We know that a genuinely good role goes both ways so for your commitment and hard work in return our promise to you is:
• A car/travel package
• A competitive salary with yearly increments.
• 27 days per year leave entitlement, with an increase to 30 days after 5 years continuous employment, plus bank holidays.
• Competitive local government pension scheme.
• Onsite free parking at both headquarters
• Access to gyms at Police sites throughout the counties
• Access to the Blue Light Card Scheme for discounts and services.
• Support networks, free Employees Assistance Programme, Occupational Health, and wellbeing services.
• Access to continuous ongoing professional development opportunities
How to apply: To apply for this role please click the 'apply' button below, you will then be taken to a registration page. Please complete this registration form to create an account, once created you will be taken to the application.
Already have an account? If you have previously created an account please click 'login' at the bottom of the page next to the 'submit registration' button. Once logged in, you will be taken to the application.